News
Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Thu 11th Apr 2019 7:04am   Last edited on Mon 15th Apr 2019 9:37pm

Maria Caldwell

Hello

Hi everyone. My name is Maria and I live in Chicago.
The reason I joined is that for quite some time now, I've been taking care of my aunt who's suffering from cancer. She's lost her strength and while she's not bedridden, it's hard for her to move around on her own - she has other health issues and paired with the therapies she's been undergoing they have made it much harder for her. I moved in with her for the time being not only to help physically but also to be there for her, because it's not easy facing something like this. I feel like she's being as positive and strong as possible most of the time, but I'd still like to meet people who have gone through similar things so that I could learn how to make it easier for her.

Added on Sat 13th Apr 2019 7:27am   Last edited on Sat 13th Apr 2019 7:27am

Katie Phillips

Hi Maria,

It's nice to meet you. The fact that you joined our community to learn how to support your aunt in this tremendously difficult time is so touching. She is lucky to have you in her life. I've found this community to be wonderfully supportive. I hope you find what you are looking for here, and I look forward to getting to know you better! 

Added on Mon 15th Apr 2019 9:37pm   Last edited on Mon 15th Apr 2019 9:37pm

Ruth Barlow

Welcome to our little corner of the internet, Maria!  If your aunt feels up to it, it might be an encouragement to her if she starts on the messages that she intends to leave behind for her loved ones. It's easy to do and several folks here have expressed how good it makes them feel to share old stories and leave behind bits of wisdom and loving reminders.  I want to echo Katie in that it's amazingly kindhearted of you to support your aunt at this stage in her life.