Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Thu 4th Apr 2019 11:54pm   Last edited on Sun 21st Apr 2019 4:45pm

Bob Stanford

Going to Therapy

Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with ALS, and the shock, grief, and anger has been overwhelming. I decided to go see a therapist to have someone I can talk to about my feelings. I feel like I need to be a rock for my family and feel guilty whenever I show them my emotions because I feel weak. I know that logically I'm not, but that's just how society portrays it, I guess.

Anyway, I'm going to see a therapist next week. I am rather anxious about it. This is totally foreign to me. It is not easy for me to be vulnerable in front of anyone. On the other hand, I do want someone to talk to who has no personal interest. I can actually say how I feel and express my thoughts without fear of judgment, I hope. 

What should I expect? Has seeing a therapist been beneficial to anyone here? 

Added on Fri 5th Apr 2019 6:36am   Last edited on Fri 5th Apr 2019 6:36am

Katie Phillips

Hi Bob,

I have lived with CF my whole life, but I go to therapy regularly. It is wonderful to have someone I can talk to openly without judgment. I feel like I can tell my therapist anything, and she just listens. She offers me guidance when I want it. I feel like having a therapist allows me to focus on other things in my life when I'm with my family and friends. Sure, I have supportive family and friends, and they do see me fall apart sometimes, but I don't feel like I need to tell them about all of my feelings and thoughts because I know I have someone to talk to on a regular basis, if that makes sense.

I hope your therapist is a good fit for you. They really can be beneficial! 

Added on Fri 5th Apr 2019 11:25pm   Last edited on Fri 5th Apr 2019 11:25pm

Heather Miller

Hi Bob,

I can relate to your anxiety. When I was first diagnosed with cancer, I decided to go see a therapist to help me cope, too. I had never been to see a therapist before, so I was rather anxious about it. But it turned out to be a really good experience. She made me feel as comfortable as possible, and soon, it was like I was coming in to talk to a friend every week. She helped me work through some difficult emotions and come to a place of acceptance. 

Added on Sat 6th Apr 2019 12:39am   Last edited on Sat 6th Apr 2019 12:39am

Bob Stanford

Thank you both for responding and telling me about your experiences. I feel a little better about the whole thing now. It sounds like this process may be beneficial after all. I'll come back and let you all know how it goes. 

Added on Mon 15th Apr 2019 2:22pm   Last edited on Mon 15th Apr 2019 2:22pm

Maria Caldwell

I'd like to hear about how is it going for you in therapy. I've been in therapy off and on for years, but I'm thinking about recommending it to my aunt. I feel like it has been really helpful for me, but I'm aware it's a completely different situation for someone trying to cope with a diagnose. I wouldn't like to push her into anything right now, but if people find therapy helpful in these circumstances I think it would be good that I suggest it to her.

Added on Sun 21st Apr 2019 4:45pm   Last edited on Sun 21st Apr 2019 4:45pm

Helena P.

I was going to reply to the other thread, but I guess this one is the most recent. Bob, what you wrote really made me think. Men are always taught they have to be strong, that they are not allowed to feel scared or sad. The only culturally accepted emotion in men is anger. And this is so wrong. Nobody should feel afraid to open up with their family. Sorry if I sound cliché. I do hope your therapy sessions are getting on fine and you are feeling better.