News
Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Wed 6th Mar 2019 4:52pm   Last edited on Tue 12th Mar 2019 6:39am

Randall Green

Making it easy on family

I want to have everything compiled in one large manila envelope so that when I pass away, it will be easier on my family to "close out my life."  That's how I think of it at least - closing out means taking care of the business end of things.  I've found a few checklists online for what's needed, but I'm afraid I might be missing something.  So far, I've made a copy of my birth certificate, social security card, and driver's license so a family member can notify the DMV and the Social Security Administration when I pass away.  I've added the title and registration to my car as well.  I've also typed a list of the bills I pay and when they're typically due so my accounts can be paid and closed.  What else should I add to my manila envelope?  

Added on Fri 8th Mar 2019 8:23pm   Last edited on Fri 8th Mar 2019 8:35pm

Ebony Clemmons

Hi, Randall!  I think the Social Security Department might contact the DMV for them, but it doesn't hurt to follow up.  Your family might need to contact the United States Post Office in your area to let them know to hold your mail.  What about your social media accounts?  If you feel comfortable sharing that information with a loved one, leave them your login info for each site you frequent so your accounts can be closed.  I need too do all these things too. 

Added on Sun 10th Mar 2019 2:32pm   Last edited on Sun 10th Mar 2019 2:32pm

Randall Green

I figured I'd just leave my social media accounts as is so that my family and friends could look at the pictures and stuff if they wanted to.  Bad idea?  

Added on Sun 10th Mar 2019 6:29pm   Last edited on Sun 10th Mar 2019 6:29pm

Ebony Clemmons

I'm using Facebook as the example, since it's widely used.  It might not be a huge deal, but if you leave your account intact as is, people can continue to post on your wall.  In my experience what usually happens is that, "I'm sorry you're no longer here," messages appear every anniversary of the persons passing.  Those messages make it into close family members timelines and sometimes the reminder just hits the person at the wrong time.  Sometimes people can be cruel or thoughtless too, and will post about your suffering or something terrible which can be traumatic for the people you love.  You might know all sensible people, but in my group I've seen some doozies.  

If you don't want to delete your account, you could always have it memorialized instead.  You would need to name someone as "My Legacy Contact" who will submit the information when you're gone.  That person could decide where to go from there with your instructions for handling your account. 

https://www.facebook.com/help/103897939701143?helpref=faq_content

https://www.facebook.com/help/1568013990080948

Added on Tue 12th Mar 2019 6:39am   Last edited on Tue 12th Mar 2019 6:39am

Heather Miller

Ebony has some good thoughts.

I would add your insurance information to your folder so your family knows who to contact about your life insurance, car insurance, etc. I would also add a copy of you will, if you have one.

Regarding social media - I have had friends who passed away before, and a loved one will use that person's profile to let everyone know what happened. This brought me some comfort because I wouldn't have known they were gone otherwise. It is hard to see memories of that person when they are gone, but the memories can also bring a smile, remembering the good times we shared.