News
Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Tue 5th Mar 2019 6:33am   Last edited on Tue 5th Mar 2019 3:34pm

Heather Miller

Journalling

When I first received my diagnosis, I was both angry and depressed. I didn't want to spend the rest of my time feeling those emotions. At the recommendation of a friend, I began a gratitude journal. I began writing down five things I was thankful for every night before I went to bed, even if I just repeated myself from the day before. I found that doing this helped me gain a little perspective on all that I do have. 

I started to write about my emotions, the things I thought, feared, hoped for, and wanted from my life. It helped me process my feelings and come to a place of acceptance. There are still days where I get angry or depressed about my terminal illness, but I find that these days aren't nearly as frequent as they used to be. 

I plan to give my journals to my husband when I pass away. I hope they will give him insight into the things I was feeling and thinking and perhaps even bring him a little comfort. 

Added on Tue 5th Mar 2019 3:34pm   Last edited on Tue 5th Mar 2019 3:42pm

Ebony Clemmons

Has it helped you, Heather?  Maybe I should try doing the same thing.  I've been feeling so broken lately.  Maybe a gratitude journal will help turn things around. I've started journaling here, but the entry is about spiritual pain which is obviously not about gratitude. At the moment I'm struggling to see the good in life. How did you get started?